Sunday, July 19, 2009

Random thought for July 19, 2009

Well, a friend who sent me a message on Facebook is the inspiration for my random thought that I'm posting. Today would've been my 12th wedding anniversary. For those that do not know, my divorce will be final next Tuesday. I was married for 11 years. I have been single for 9 months now. It is interesting what you learn in this process. Believe it or not, the gist of this post is not to talk about my feelings about being single or going through a divorce. It is actually to talk about what happened one year ago today.

From 2002 to July 19, 2008, I worked for Crain Media-Searcy. Despite the rocky ending to the 2007-08 broadcast year, I was very much looking forward to the upcoming season and the Badgers going into the 5A Southeast Conference. Unfortunately, I would never get that chance. On July 19, 2008, which was my 11th wedding anniversary, I got the call from the then GM of Crain Media, JR Runyon, informing me that I was no longer the voice of the Badgers. The phone call came at 1:30 in the afternoon and it was a 10 minute conversation. He never really told me the reasoning behind my firing and essentially just hinted at some things. I can still remember feeling the shock and the feeling of being really surprised after hearing that news. All of this from a man that five months earlier, put his arm around me and told me that I was "appreciated" and that Beebe sports would not be the same without me. I still remember the two people that I immediately called with this information: my then wife, and Coach John Shannon. Its amazing what you remember about certain things.

Fast forward to July 19, 2009. I think about what all has happened this year. I will be back in the booth as the voice of the Badgers on the Badger Radio Network/NEARSports.com. I have gone on several dates, and filed for divorce. A wise gentleman told me several months ago that I needed to start living my life day to day, to not worry about the past because you can't change the past and to not worry about the future because you can't predict it. I know it won't do any good to be bitter and upset about what happened a year ago. For some people, going through something that bitter is hard to move on from, but honestly, its the best thing to do. So, that's what I've done. I have moved on. I am very optimistic that the rest of 2009 will be at least decent. I am very much looking forward to football season. My last point: always keep your chin up and be optimistic.

On a sports note: two-a-days begin in about a week and a half. These kids have been working hard in offseason workouts and team camps. We'll see how they've come along since spring practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home